Life 4.0

All about my strange new life, and the art of making it up as I go

Friday, December 25, 2009

A Christmas Story

To steal a phrase from Rod Serling...

Submitted for your consideration: A short Christmas story, with minimal comment. Draw your own conclusions.

I decided against putting up any decorations this year. It's more a practical consideration than an emotional one. I didn't even send out any cards, even though I had some really cute snowman ones Roxanne had bought. I have to admit this decision was emotional. I got as far as taking them out of the box, and just got too heavy hearted. Look for 'em next year if this LIFE 4.0 thing is still working out. I'll wait until I can send along a happy greeting. My point is that even though my soul embraces the season, there's no visible evidence of Christmas at my house.

There is a small table which sits in the corner of my living room. I often put my shoes under there so they're out of the way. As I have minimal storage space, there are also some bags and boxes underneath.

Earlier tonight, as I was getting ready to go to work., I was slipping my foot inside the shoe, and it banged against a bag, knocking it over. Out came a Christmas wreath, complete with jingle bells. I'd never seen it before, at least not that I can recall. Obviously, Roxanne had bought it at some point, in anticipation of displaying it. Christmas was such fun with her. It was one of the few times she would shed that "don't fuck with me" exterior and became that awestruck wonder-filled womanchild I saw so seldom.

I'm not one to thumb my nose at a hint, so the wreath is now displayed next to my front door. I'm not surprised that I've allowed it to take on a life of its own. It sat there for no telling how long, apparently deciding Christmas Eve was the time to appear. And not just any Christmas Eve, but the most trying one in my entire life.

Today's lesson? As I said, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions. This may be another in a series of unrelated coincidences. Or it may be I have an angel who is still looking after my needs... an angel who wants me to know I should honor Christmas, in spite of my lonliness.

It may even be that someone wanted me to know that it's it's okay to feel lonely. Perhaps I'm supposed to learn that angels can sometimes feel lonely, too.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

2 comments: