Life 4.0

All about my strange new life, and the art of making it up as I go

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Newsman

I am scared shitless. I've known this was coming for a while, but I didn't know to what extent. For some time, I've discussed the possibility of doing more work in the news department. I enjoy my duties with the Delilah show, and I loved being on WABX in the evenings. But that's too close to an entry-level position to provide for the future. Radio. like many industries, is becoming less labor-intensive. The more I can do to make use of my experience and ambition, the better for everyone.

Trouble viewing on mobile? Click here

Yes, I have a new job. I'll be the anchor of "Evansville In The Morning", our half hour news cast at 5:25am on WIKY. In addition, I'll be doing traffic reports on the WIKY morning show and morning news for WABX. Although I was unprepared to move fully into the news department, here I am. The sad thing is that this opening was created by downsizing, but that's the nature of business in today's economy. I'm eager, and scared. As enthused as I am, I'm working with unfamiliar procedures, and new people. Most frustrating, I lose the one anchor point that has made my life easier for the last four years: The knowledge that I'm damned good at what I do. That's gone.

Everyone treats me great, and they've certainly made me feel welcome. But I'm a professional. I have the ability to honestly judge what I do, without metting my ego get in the way. And I'm not good. I will be, but that will take time. I've already been criticized as being an imposter, an actor playing the role of a news person. I have a challenge, one I'm undergoing alone. Alone. I need Roxanne, and she's not here. I think that's what scares me most of all.

Today's lesson?It's still so strange to me starting my work day at the time I'm used to finishing it. Lots of adjustments. New role, new boss, lots of "fish-out-of water" feelings. And for the first time in a long time, I'm jumping into a new endeavor alone. I mean, a REALLY long time. The last time I shifted careers without Roxanne's hand to guide me, Jimmy Carter was President, and gas was about 75 cents a gallon. This is going to require me to reach inside, and find confidence and ingenuity enough to cover my shortcomings. If that sounds like "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit," it's not. I don't need to use bullshit. I have enough talent and strength to find my way. And if that sounds overconfident, good. I love when people understimate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment